For those wanted to try a SUPER easy homemade yogurt recipe that DOES NOT require a thermometer, here's what I use:
Slow Cooker (aka "Crockpot")
Spoon or Whisk
8cups milk (powdered milk mixed with water works fine)
6oz quality yogurt-plain or flavored is fine (check for the kosher symbol)
- Pour 8cups (or 2 quarts) of milk in slow cooker
- Cover & Turn slow cooker on low for 2 1/2 hours
- Turn off warmed milk and allow to set for 3 hours
- Stir in 6 oz yogurt (this provides your culture)
- Warm your oven to 100degrees or the warm setting, then TURN OFF (this will incubate the yogurt)
- Put a dish towel over the top of the slow cooker with the milk/yogurt and place in the oven 8-10 hours
- Remove your slow-cooker and skim off the whey from the top of the yogurt, then ENJOY!
- Consider starting this recipe after lunch and leave it in the oven overnight so you'll have yogurt for breakfast
- You may want to add some sweetner such as honey, raw sugar, etc.
- This is great with fruit and/or granola---It can also be frozen as yogurt pops